Best Compound Bow 2017
Bows are great and compact weapons that can be used for target shooting and hunting. There are different kinds of bow and one of them is the compound bow.
It is not quite difficult to get perplexed and fed up while on the search for the best compound bow that will suit your needs but we have eased you of the stress in this article by giving you an insight into various compound bow products to enable you make the exact selection.
Compound bows differ greatly from recurve bows in a long way, its limbs are much more firm compared with its other complements, the limbs do not curve towards the shooter. This makes the compound bow store up more energy when shooting.
Factors to consider when choosing a compound bow
- Draw weight: The draw weight is the total weight felt when the bowstring is retracted. It is advisable to shoot from a compound bow that has a high limit of draw weight to enhance the speed and amount of force released. Making use of a higher draw weight has a shortcoming despite its advantage.
A high draw weight can result in a fast shot at your aim as well as a poor shooting performance due to the difficulty in controlling the bow while drawing and aiming. You can start with making use of lower draw weight and switching to higher ones as you get more experienced. You should hold the bow in full draw and with no trembling for at least a minute to avoid injuries, enable a smooth draw and depict appropriate shooting procedures. Have in mind that the lower the draw weight, the shorter the draw length.
We have a chart for choosing your draw weight below:
Draw weight (lbs)
55 – 70
70 – 100
100 – 130
130 – 150
10 – 15
15 – 25
25 – 35
40 – 50
100 – 130
130 – 160
25 – 35
30 – 40
45 – 55
120 – 150
150 – 180
45 – 55
55 – 65
65 – 75
- Speed: this is the most essential factor. You should go for a compound bow with the highest speed. The higher the speed of the arrow used, the harder the arrow will hit the aim.
- Draw length: the draw length of a compound bow is the distance between the positions of the bow string at rest and when fully drawn. Divide your full arm span by 2.5 to get your draw length but most compound bows come with adjustable draw lengths.
- Let off: the let off is determined by the percentage of the highest weight you hold when the bow is fully drawn. A low let off tends to increase the pace of the arrow and a high let off allows you hold the bow longer when it is fully drawn. A very high let off will lead to a bad shooting performance.
- Brace height: brace height is the gap from the bow string to the grip. Bows with shorter brace heights bring about more stored energy and the high speed of the arrow. The shorter the brace height, the more the difficulty in shooting the bow which implies shorter brace heights is not recommended for beginners.
The Various Types Of Compound Bow :
There are various types of compound bows which are:
- Single cam: this has a cam on the base limb and an idler wheel at the top. The main function of the wheel at the top limb is to hold the string in place.
- Dual cam: it is also known as “twin cam” or a “two cam” system. There is a cam on each end of the compound bow. They are equally placed which has the benefit of keeping the cables and arrow level close to the limbs. A dual cam produces a great speed and energy while functioning properly which makes it perfect for hunting.
- Hybrid cam: this is similar to the dual cam system but the cables are attached to each other instead of being attached to the limbs. The cam at the bottom holds the power while the one at the top controls the string as it adjusts itself all the way through the shooting phase.
- Binary cam: the binary cam resembles the dual cam but it works in a different way. Each cam is parallel to each other. The string is attached to the cams instead of being attached to the limbs as with other designs. It creates a great speed but requires maintenance and some adjustments.
The Best Compound Bow 2017 Review
Without much ado, let us go into the details of the best compound bow 2017.
1. Bear Archery Cruzer Review – The Best Of All :
Bear Archery Compound Bow has been built to suit every bow hunter’s need and that is why it is decent for anyone. It comes with a lot of the necessary extras (high-quality popular arrow rest), fiber optic sights with four needles (for shooting at different ranges), a stabilizer, quiver, and a wrist strap.
The Bear Archery compound bow has a standard draw weight and length that has been adapted for different users and adjustable to suit different shooting level. The archery tool lets you shoot like a pro. Even so that the top quality accessories allows for immediate shooting.
Different from the regular grip, the grip of the Bear Archery compound bow is designed for comfort and convenience. It is built with an advanced grip design for enhanced accuracy.
This is certainly one of the best compound bow 2017.
Quick Specifications :
Speed rating: 310 feet per second
Draw weight: 5 – 70 lbs
Draw length: 12 – 30 inches
- Limbs: the limbs help in creating a smooth and steady shooting performance free from noise and vibrations. They store up a substantial amount of energy and the limb pockets increases the total accuracy of the bow.
- Riser: the riser is made from machined light weight aluminum which has a comfortable grip to help achieve accuracy.
- Axle to axle length: this is 32 inches. Shorter archers are excellent users due to its compact size.
- 5 inches brace height to give accurate results, it might not be really forgiving of a beginners mistakes.
- Weight of about 3.6 pounds which makes it easier to carry and shoot
- MV double cam system to give it a smooth draw
- With its 75 percent let off, there is a higher chance of holding it at full draw at intervals in spite of its limbs being cranked.
- It comes with trophy ridge accessories.
- It has an arrow quiver and stabilizer to curtail sounds and vibrations.
- Excellent for young hunters and archers
- For right and left handed individuals
- It has the capability to last for many years
- Draw weight and length is changeable.
- It is of a camouflage design which hides itself from prey.
- It is competent of producing an adequate amount of kinetic energy to make precise shots.
- It can be used for fishing by attaching bowfishing reel.
- It is reasonably priced.
- Even with its fast speed , it might not be fast enough for some experienced archers
- Might be too short for target shooters.
The Bear Archery Cruser comes with high quality accessories such as :
- D-loop and peep sight: you should take the bow to a professional to help you adjust it to fit you that is if you are a beginner because it requires a little expertise to be able to do it yourself.
- Trophy ridge dart stabilizer: this eliminates a lot of vibrations caused while shooting, thereby making the bow more comfortable to use.
- Trophy ridge 4-pin fiber optic sight: this includes a light that is useful while hunting or shooting in dim light conditions, if the small black cab on the sight is tightened, the sight illuminates.
- Trophy ridge five spot quiver: this is built on the bow and it can be separated without difficulty.
- Bow sling: this is used in joining this compound bow to your wrist, it helps in preventing the bow from falling after it is being shot.
- The arrow rest is a trophy ridge joker quick shot whisker biscuit.
- Realtree XG camo with black metal rims
Do note that strings should be regularly waxed to avoid them from wearing out and also fraying, which will prolong the useful life of the string. However, it is suggested that you change strings and cables at least once in a year but this actually depends on how often you make use of them.
The draw weight can be adjusted through the bolts that join the limbs to the riser. You just have to turn the bolts in a clockwise manner to increase the weight and in an anticlockwise manner to reduce the weight. Ensure that both limb bolts are attuned evenly to steer clear of any kind of problem. Also, do not try to turn the bolts more than twelve full turns to prevent it from exploding into your face.
2. SAS RAGE Compound Bow Review : The Second Best
The SAS Rage compound is the best alternative for those that don’t fancy the Bear Archery Cruiser. It comes with and without accessories , depending on what you can afford; However ,this bow is not really quiet when it is not used with anti noise accessories, hence , you have to get string silencers and a stabilizer to make it noise free. It is not intended for smaller framed women or youths instead for men who have the capability to draw back a heavy compound bow.
- Riser: the riser is made of machined aluminum which makes it more durable and it also has a kind of pattern which gives it a contemporary look.
- Limbs: the limbs are parallel positioned aluminized which is made out of strong fiberglass. The limb pockets hold the limbs in position for enhanced accuracy.
- Dual cam system: these are produced from aluminum which also makes it easier to regulate the draw length of the bow.
- Draw weight: the draw weight set on this compound bow is 70 lbs. A beginner should go with 55 lbs which is the minimum draw weight of this model because it is better for learning how to shoot. When adjusting the draw weight, do note that the bolts have to be turned equally. Turning the bolt in a clockwise manner means you are increasing the draw weight and in an anti clockwise manner means you are reducing it.
- Draw length: the draw length ranges from 26 – 30 inches and it can be adjusted by using an Allen tool. You just have to unknot the bolts in the cam, put the bolt in the preferred draw length hole and tighten the bolt but not too much. If you are just starting out, you should ask for an expert’s help to avoid damaging the bow or hurting yourself in the process. The experts would not charge too much and you can also learn how to do it in case of next time.
- Shooting speed: its highest speed is 270 feet per seconds which is very good for target shooting.
- Axle to axle length is 35 inches which gives you a mixture of maneuverability and accuracy. This makes it suitable for any kind of hunting. Hunting with a very long bow will make your positioning difficult.
- String stop is included to reduce vibrations.
- Let off to 70 percent.
- Can be used for fishing by attaching a bowfishing reel.
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to set up
- Shoots precisely.
- Comes in a camouflage color to hide itself from games.
- The bow is heavy and gets heavier when accessories are added.
- The sight shelf and sight included are not really good.
- It is intended for right handed individuals only.
- You might have to change the string more often.
- Not fast enough for hunting big games due to its low arrow speed.
Dry firing is what you should avoid by all means. Dry firing implies shooting without an arrow. The energy of the compound bow is put into the arrow while shooting , therefore, shooting without an arrow means the energy will go right back into the compound bow by itself which could cause great damages. If your cable slide gets in the way or the silencer is not reaching the string, then you must have been dry firing.
If you are using this compound bow for target shooting in your backyard, please ensure you make use of a backstop which has the ability of putting a stop to the arrows because this compound bow could be overpowering.
3. Martin Archery Lithium Review – The Third Best :
A weighty bow can be a basis for arm fatigue which can lead to missed and wasted shots. Nevertheless, this compound bow built by Martin Archery can bear up harsh conditions even though it comes lightweight. This compound bow is intended to last for long period of time. Its well-built structure will give you the power and velocity required to capture small and large games.
- Limbs: the twin X4 limbs grants the bow a smooth and exceptional look and also provides a lot of speed and steadiness.
- Riser: the riser has a vibration system which gets rid of any form of noise. The noise suppression system is produced from carbon fiber to enhance accuracy.
- Draw length: the draw length ranges from 31 – 38 inches and can be adjusted to a preferred draw length.
- Draw weight: it is available in 50 – 70 lbs
- String: the bow strings are made out the best BCY materials and are 20 times stronger than steel. The strings come fully pre stretched so as to keep away from any stretching difficulties.
- Brace height: martin archery lithium has a brace height of 7 inches to help in guiding and aiming at arrows.
- Capture rest: this will enclose and fully capture the arrow. There will be no loss of speed. It comes with quivers and fasteners.
- Arrows: the carbon arrows that come with this compound bow are excellent, they are of 31 inches and deemed to be reliable.
- Nitro 3 cams: these nitro 3 cams are added to give you a quiet and soft draw. It makes sure that each draw can speed at 335 feet per second. To adjust the Nitro 3 cams, you simply need to turn the bolts sited in the module to a preferred length.
- Shooting speed: martin archery lithium can shoot at a speed of 335 feet per second which means it shoots at a very high speed with a full penetration.
- Axle to axle length: the axle to axle length is 33.25 inches
- Let off to 80 percent
- Martin archery lithium is of high quality
- You will get an excellent value for the price
- It will last for a long period of time
- Very good for hunting due to its high let off and feet per second
- It is not really good for beginners
- It is designed for right handed individuals.
- The bolts that allow the bow to be adjusted do not stay in position all the time.
4. PSE Prophecy Review :
This compound bow is well known to be the fastest single cam bow, it has a lot of speed with simplicity and an affordable price.
- Riser: the riser is of a planar flex. It has an extraordinary power at eliminating sideways torque and at the same time front to back torque when the bow is fully drawn. You would not really feel the difference, but you should feel it in terms of the accuracy. The eliminated torque enhances the overall accuracy of the compound bow.
It has the backstop 2 rear adjustable mounting string stop which helps the shooter get the best position regarding where the string hits after the arrow is being released.
At the front of the string stop structure is the front mounting stabilizer hole which gives energy to the bow.
This bow weighs 4.1 pounds even though it does not feel weighty.
- Limbs: included is the parallel split limbs, the limb bolts can be attuned to a total of ten turns which is about ten pounds. The limbs have vibracheck limb band dampeners which are intended to enclose each limb. These bands do not have need of a bow press for installation. The limbs are produced from aircraft grade aluminum and can survive harsh weather conditions.
- Grip: the grip is of an ergonomic design and has a rubber plated side grip. Most people have a problem with this rubber plated grip at first because it is thin. You might also have some difficulty adjusting it but you will get used to this grip with some time.
- Cam: the cam powers the compound bow to a speed of 340 fps and a let off of 75 percent. It has wide grooves to hold the angles of the string, making it difficult for the strings to get ruined. The cam is produced from 7075 aluminum which enhances the strength and also adds an additional weight to the bow. It keeps the line from crashing in the middle of the draw. The draw length is of 25 – 30 inches and the inner cam structure allows for adjustments exclusive of switching cams or having to purchase draw length modules.
- Axel to axel length is of 32 inches which helps to have an excellent hunting performance.
- Draw weight: the draw weight is available in 50, 60, 70 lbs.
- It is extremely fast
- Excellent for target shooting and hunting.
- Easy to adjust draw weight and draw length.
- Might weigh too much for some archers
Vibrations when you are drawing a bow or releasing a bolt can be very dangerous because they tend to obstruct the target you are aiming, drive off your prey and also waste your arrows as well as your time. That is the main reason why this bow has been designed to be noise free, eliminate any form of disruption and also give you a precise and peaceful shooting and hunting performance.
Its aluminum structure lowers unnecessary mass from the bow. PSE prophecy is an excellent bow for young adults, beginners as well as professionals because of its strength, speed and accuracy.
5. Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro :
This dual cam compound bow is produced in the United States and its package contains items that will enhance the accuracy of your shots.
The Diamond Archery bow’s makeup is concentrated on proper form and accuracy. Designed with sufficient features and accessories for small-frame shooters, so that they can continue shooting up to adult age, this customizable archery weapon does not require a bow press to accomplish the desired customization. The archery comes with adjustable settings, making it highly customizable for the target users.
- Grip: the grip is made from hard rubber which is designed for large and small hands. The rubber minimizes hand torque and it is also right for low temperature.
- Riser: the riser is made from light weight aluminum and comes with solid limbs mounted on it.
- Limbs: the limbs are sold and parallel to each other, this is to eliminate hand shock.
- Hostage XL arrow rest: it is of a trouble-free design which has no mechanical parts. The arrow rest can of course be substituted but that depends on you.
- 5” ultra-lite octane stabilizer: this stabilizer reduces vibrations when shooting thereby making the whole draw cycle steady and balanced. You do not need noise dampening accessories.
- String loop and wrist sling: the loop is placed to where the nock is, it is used to hold the string while the wrist sling is used in securing the model on your wrist to prevent it from dropping after the arrow is shot.
- Draw length: ranges from 13 – 31 inches. The adjustment can be done manually but it is recommended that you go to a professional if you have never adjusted a draw length before.
- Shooting speed: this compound bow shoots at 310 feet per second. The ideal weight of an arrow for this compound bow is 5 grains per pound of draw weight.
- Draw weight: the draw weight ranges form 5 – 70 lbs which implies it can be recommended for children. It can be adjusted by lengthening the limb bolts.
- Let off to 75 percent.
- Bow weight: 3.1 lbs
- Brace height of 7 inches
- An excellent product for beginners
- Can be adjustable
- Can be used for fishing
- can be a little bit slow
- It is not totally quiet.
The 70 lbs option of draw weight makes this compound bow ideal for hunting, experienced hunters should also consider this model due to its energy and draw cycle.
A release aid is recommended for shooting as it takes your finger which might twist the string away from the shooting process. If the string is twisted, the flight of the arrow is affected in a negative way.
6. Diamond core :
The Diamond Core is very quiet and smooth while drawing due to its string stop which eliminates noise. It is a single cam bow with rotating modules, well balanced and shoots with a lot of accuracy.
- Grip: the grip is of one piece and fit into the riser perfectly. It is comfortable and adds to the accuracy of the bow.
- Riser: the riser is made from machined aluminum. It has an integrated shelf and allows the use of longer limb bolts.
- Limbs: this model features a parallel set of E-glass limbs. The limb pockets makes the bolts through the limbs fit into the riser very well. The pair of side tabs supports the limbs and holds them in place.
- Apex sight: this apex sight is made out of plastic. It can be adjusted vertically to your requirement because it comes horizontally.
- A.K equipped system: this compound bow comes equipped with a ready, aim and kill system which means it is ready to shoot out of the box.
- The octane stabilizer eliminates vibration, balances the bow and gives you an excellent shooting performance.
- String silencers: this bow has two string silencers which also takes vibrations away from the cable while shooting the bow. The string silencers are made of carbon and carbon is one of the strongest existing vibration-dampening materials. The string silencers are directly positioned in line with the stabilizer.
- Weight: with a total weight of 3.2 pounds, it is very easy and comfortable to carry around the field for hours. The additional weight of accessories even makes it more balanced.
- Rotating modules: you do not have to wait for replacement cams or modules to set your desired draw length, you simply have to remove the module screws, rotate the modules and tighten up the screws.
- BCY D-loop but a release aid can additionally be gotten.
- Wrist sling: it prevents the model from falling to the ground after the arrow is released.
- Draw weight: the draw weight ranges from 40 – 70 lbs
- Draw length: it ranges from 25 – 30 inches
- Let off of 80 percent which makes it easy to hold on to targets for a long period of time.
- Shooting speed: diamond core shoots at 313 feet per second
- Axle to axle length of 31 inches which makes the model good for shooting amongst trees or blinds.
- Brace height of 7.25 inches
- It is suitable for bow fishing by just adding a reel.
- It is of high quality
- Usually adjustable
- No expensive accessories required
- It is not designed for target practices.
- It takes more time in setting up by a beginner.
Do note that the kinetic energy of this compound bow will drop when the draw weight is lowered.
We have put together some tips that will make your compound bow last for a very long time and they are:
- Make sure you wax the string from time to time.
- Do not leave your compound bow in areas of high temperature and constant moisture because limbs can be out of shape and destroyed permanently.
- Check your compound bow for loosed and damaged parts before shooting.
- Check your arrows after hitting hard targets, they could destroy your bow or hurt you in case they are damaged and used again.
- Get a case for your compound bow.
These are the best compound bow 2017. Did we miss anything? Let us know via your comments.